2014 Community Spirit Awards
Call for Nominations
May 31, 2013 Deadline!
The Community Spirit Awards is a national fellowship award for American Indian artists. First Peoples Fund chooses honorees for their commitment to sustaining the cultural values of native people. The process of bringing spirit back to community is an important responsibility for artists – it is part of a sacred honor system. First Peoples Fund works to strengthen that honor system by recognizing these exceptional artists for knowing themselves, honoring others, and sustaining spirit in their own communities.
Nominees must be:
- Practicing artists of demonstrated maturity in their field.
- Continually practicing artists for a minimum of 10 years.
- Documented affiliate of a United States tribe. Native Alaska or Hawaii included!
- Note: In addition to Visual Arts, First Peoples recognizes contemporary and traditional forms of Performing Arts and Literary Arts.
Fellowships will be awarded to artists who demonstrate:
- An artistic practice that passes on the traditions and the life ways of the people.
- A commitment to building the strength of native communities by sharing their skills and talents with others in their respective communities; and
- Deeply rooted and maintain direct ties to their tribal community.